Bl**dy H*ll!
OK...I knew I'm getting old, but I just hate getting slapped in the face with the fact.
We're currently short-handed (ok, shorter-handed than we normally are, which already is pretty short). My soldier is on leave, so we're down one guy during days. I was getting ready to go to lunch, and I went to tell my Captain that I was going. He asked me if there was anyone in the shop, which irritated me no end. We work with classified information, on the computers in printouts, etc. Rule number one, make sure your classified is either secured (like in a safe), or someone is watching it at all times. We don't have a safe, so of course someone has to stay and watch it. Of course I wasn't going to just up and leave it.
So grumbling to myself, I walked out of the office. The grumbling went like this:
"Is there anyone in the office?? Of course there's someone in the office. What, do I look like an irresponsible git?? I've been in this business for (quick mental calculation) 19 years and....."
Suddenly, deep inside my brain, something threw a switch (one of those big heavy Frankenstein breaker switches, I imagine). Synapses fired, electro-chemical gates opened and memory areas were accessed.
Oh, sh*t...
I've forgotten an anniversary, actually TWO anniversaries.
18 February 1986...I signed up with the Air National Guard.
21 February 1989...I signed up with the US Air Force.
I have been in this business for 19 years. And I completely forgot my anniversaries.
Somebody have a drink for me in celebration.
I am getting old.
Take care of yourselves and each other.
Myron

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home